Police Department


The Vermilion Police Department prides itself on fast, courteous service.  We are committed to providing exceptional public safety services to the City of Vermilion.

Department Information

The City of Vermilion Police Department is a certified agency with the State’s Ohio Collaborative effort.

Administrative Services Division

This includes a Police Chief, Captain, Administrative Assistant and Dispatchers


Field Services Division

Road Patrol, Detective Bureau, K9 Unit, Harbor Patrol, SRO and Bicycle Officers 



Annual Report

Vacant House Watch

The Vermilion Police Department offers a free Vacant House Watch to all city residents.

If you are planning on leaving town for a weekend or an extended period of time, the Vacant House Watch is one crime prevention tool that may be useful in protecting your home.

All fields in the form are required in order to process your request. Please be specific when providing information as this will assist our officers when performing checks. If you have any questions, you may call the Vermilion Police Department at (440) 967-6116 or you may come on station to fill out the form in person.

Please make sure to follow some simple Crime Prevention rules while you are away to protect your home and your belongings:

Place lights on timers to give the impression of the house being occupied.

Stop all newspaper and mail delivery during your absence.

Ensure your windows & doors have secure locks and make sure the house is LOCKED prior to leaving town.

Close and secure your garage.

Do not leave your vehicle on city streets during the Winter Snow ban months. Starting December 1st until March 31st from 2:30 am until 6:00 am as it can be cited and towed for violating the city’s ALL NIGHT PARKING DURING WINTER MONTHS. Section 452.14  

Please note: You will need to contact the Vermilion Police Department immediately upon your return to remove your name from the check list. For those residents who have roommates, the first roommate to return should call.

Thank you for participating in the Vacant House Watch.

Your driver’s license number is used during the online form to verify who you are and your house address.

If the address, you would like checked is different than on your driver’s license or you would not like to give out your driver’s license please come to the Police Station to have your home registered.





 860.01 DEFINITIONS.    As used in this Chapter:
   (a)   "Peddler" means any person traveling from place to place, door to door or from street to street, taking or attempting to take orders for profit by the sale of goods, wares, food, or merchandise or personal property of any nature whatsoever for immediate or future delivery or for services to be furnished or performed in the future.
   (b)   "Solicitor" means any person traveling from place to place, door to door or from street to street, who obtains or seeks to obtain funds for any cause whatsoever by means of canvassing.
   (c)   "Canvasser" means any person traveling from place to place, door to door or from street to street who seeks to disseminate any lawful message or obtains or seeks to obtain or influence the opinions of the residents of the City upon the private residences including any house, apartment or other dwelling in the City and who may or may not obtain or seek funds for any cause.
   (d)   "Charitable" includes the words patriotic, philanthropic, social service, welfare, eleemosynary, benevolent, educational, fraternal, veteran's medical and social research, either actual or purported.
   (e)   "Religious" or "Religion" shall not include the word "charitable," but shall be given their commonly accepted definitions.
      (Ord. 2018-34. Passed 6-18-18.)
   (a)   No peddler or solicitor shall peddle or solicit within the Municipality without holding a valid license issued by the Chief of Police as provided under the provisions of this Section. A separate license shall be obtained for every peddler or solicitor, agent or employee soliciting within the Municipality.
   (b)   No license shall be required of any person for the following:
      (1)   Peddling or soliciting only for the purchase of or subscription for newspapers to be delivered at the place where the subscription is obtained;
      (2)   Peddling or soliciting only for wholesale delivery to merchants, manufacturers or other business or manufacturing establishments;
      (3)   Peddling or soliciting on behalf of any religious or charitable organization or group;
      (4)   Peddling or soliciting at the invitation or request of the person contacted;
      (5)   Peddling or soliciting conducted only among the members of the entity or organization conducting the peddling or soliciting; or
      (6)   Acting as a canvasser to disseminate ideas, thoughts, or message regarding any cause, issue, religion, or political candidate as long as such canvassing does not involve the violation of any local, state, or federal law.
   (c)   Applications for licenses for peddlers or solicitors shall be filed with the Chief of Police, on a form, along with the license application fee, to be furnished by the Chief of Police, which shall require, at least, the following information.
      (1)   The name of the applicant;
      (2)   If the applicant is an individual, a physical description of the applicant;
      (3)   The applicant's social security number or federal identification number;
      (4)   The name and address of the person by whom the applicant is employed or for whom he is soliciting, if any, and the length of the applicant's service with such employer or person;
      (5)   If the applicant is an individual, all places of residence of the applicant and all employment during the past five (5) years;
      (6)   The nature and character of the goods to be sold or services to be furnished by the applicant or the purpose for which funds are being peddled or solicited;
      (7)   The names of other municipalities in which the applicant has recently conducted peddling or solicitation activities.
         (Ord. 2018-34. Passed 6-18-18.)


More on the Peddlers, Canvassers, and Solicitors.


Traffic Crash Reports     Victims of Internet Crime



Open Positions


The Vermilion Police Department is a midsize department consisting of Full and Part-Time Officers and Full and Part-Time Dispatchers.

Equal Employment Opportunity:

It is the goal of The Vermilion Police Department to recruit and hire qualified individuals with the proper temperament, knowledge, and attitude for work in the Law Enforcement field while providing equal employment opportunities in a diverse workplace.

The Vermilion Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer that supports the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and must respond to reasonable requests for job accommodations and take reasonable action to employ qualified individuals with disabilities.  This agency is committed to making reasonable sustained, diligent efforts to identify and consider such individuals for employment and for possible advancement opportunities arising during employment.

It is the sworn duty of all law enforcement officers to uphold the constitutional rights of all individuals.  The Vermilion Police Department strictly prohibits any retaliatory action against an employee for opposing a practice that he or she believes to be discriminatory.  This includes the filing of an internal complaint or the filing of a complaint with a state or federal civil rights enforcement agency.                                              

Maintaining the ideals of equal opportunity employment, no individual inquiring about employment within the Vermilion Police Department may be discriminated against based on:

  1. Race,
  2. Color,
  3. Religion,
  4. Sex,
  5. Sexual Orientation,
  6. Gender Identity,
  7. Age,
  8. National origin,
  9. Disability,
  10. Veteran Status
  11. Military Status,
  12. Marital status, or
  13. Political affiliation.

This applies to all terms or conditions associated with the employment process, including hiring, promotions, terminations, discipline, performance evaluations, and interviews. All employees are expected to abide by the procedures as outlined within this policy.  Violation of this policy will subject an employee to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal.

Application Process:

All full-time candidates are required to take and pass a written Civil Service examination. An additional Physical Agility examination is required for officer candidates. Those seeking part-time employment need only to fill out an application. 

All candidates are subject to written, physical, mental, CVSA, and performance-based testing as well as a background investigation and interview.


All persons seeking employment with the Vermilion Police Department must:

  1. Be a United States citizen.
  2. Be a resident of Ohio or become a resident within ninety [90] days of employment.
  3. Be at least twenty-one [21] years of age.
  4. Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
  5. Have a high school diploma or GED; or
  6. Successfully complete the minimum training required for licensure.
  7. Never have been convicted of a felony or is not currently under indictment for any criminal offense.
  8. Be free of misdemeanor convictions for the last twelve [12] months.
  9. Have no previous or current charges of driving while intoxicated or driving under the Influence of drugs or alcohol.
  10. Never been convicted of any family violence offense.
  11. Not be prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle.
  12. Not be prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.
  13. Be subject to a thorough background investigation and personal interviews by agency personnel.
  14. If served in the armed forces of any country, demonstrate stability, reliability, & integrity, by having an Honorable Discharge [Dishonorable discharges are not acceptable];
  15. Have never had a commission or peace officer license denied by final order or revoked.
  16. Not be currently on suspension or have a voluntary surrender of a job-related license currently in effect.
  17. Demonstrate having a good financial credit rating for the last five [5] years.
  18. Demonstrate honesty and integrity, by successfully completing pre-employment cvsa and drug testing.
  19. Demonstrate good general medical health as determined by a medical doctor, who is licensed by the Ohio State Board of Medical Examiners, and physical performance testing.
  20. Free from illegal drug use, or legal drugs that impair mental or physical performance, for the past 5 years, as determined by interview, medical, or polygraph/CVSA testing.
  21. Be declared in satisfactory psychological and emotional health by a psychiatrist who is licensed by the Ohio State Board of Medical Examiners or psychologist, who is licensed by the Ohio State Board of Examiners of Psychologists; &
  22. Be fingerprinted and subjected to a search of local, state, and national records and fingerprint files.

Disqualification of Applicants:

Applicants may be disqualified for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to:

  1. Not possessing the minimum qualifications for the position.
  2. Failing to be punctual in taking prescribed tests or undergoing evaluation.
  3. Making fraudulent statements during interview, or on any application; or
  4. Failing to properly complete the application in the manner prescribed.

Why can I not park overnight on the city streets during the winter?

According to section 452.14 of the Vermilion City Ordinance, vehicles cannot be parked on the streets from the hours of 2:30 am to 6:00 am, from December 1 to March 31st.  The Vermilion Police Department will issue warning tickets during the first effective week for those vehicles found to be in violation of this ordinance.  Beginning December 8th, violators will be issued a $25 parking citation. 

For those residents experiencing difficulty with complying with this ordinance, exemptions are available through the police department.  Please contact Chief Hartung at (440) 967-6116 to make arrangements.


What time is curfew for the City of Vermilion?

City Ordinance 648.09 dictates that curfew shall be enforced as follows: any juvenile aged 15 and under as well as any minor on probation from any court cannot be on any public street, sidewalk, alley or any other public grounds between the hours of 10:00 pm and 5:30 am on all school nights. This includes Sunday night if school follows on the next day. If there is no school scheduled the following day, the curfew hours are 11:30 pm to 5:30 am. For example, on a regular school week, juveniles under the age of 16 should be aware that Sunday night through Thursday night they are to be off the streets by 10:00 pm. Friday and Saturday nights would typically have an 11:30 pm curfew.

Those minors who are not on probation and are 16 and 17 years of age have a different curfew schedule. These minors have until 11:30 pm to return home during the school week and must stay in the home until 5:30 am. On weekends, or days that do not precede a school day, these minors are allowed to be out until 12:00 am and must remain indoors until 5:30 am.

Please be aware that parents can be charged if their child(ren) is/are in violation of this ordinance. If a parent/guardian/custodian is with their child/ward after curfew hours, this will not be considered a violation of curfew. Another exemption to this ordinance is if the adult having physical custody of the minor child(ren) is not the parent/guardian/custodian, but has been duly authorized by the minor’s parent/guardian/custodian to care for the child (i.e. babysitter), then it shall not be considered a violation.  Finally, if a minor is travelling directly to or from work and home, or is at work, then the minor will not be in violation of the ordinance.


How do I get a golf cart inspected?

Contact Chief Hartung at 440-967-6116 to schedule an appointment for an inspection.  Inspections can be scheduled Monday through Friday between 10AM and 4PM.  There is a $25.00 fee (exact cash or check only) payable to the City of Vermilion at the time of the inspection.  In order to pass an inspection, you must show the following items:

  1. A valid driver’s license
  2. Proof of insurance on the golf cart
  3. At least one working brake light
  4. A rearview mirror
  5. A windshield
  6. A working horn
  7. Two working headlights
  8. A license plate light
  9. Turn signals
  10. At least one working taillight


Who do I contact if I need to rent the Vermilion Patrolman’s Association property?

Have an event, graduation party, or just looking for a spot for a large gathering?  The VPA property is the perfect area and only costs $100 to rent.  A covered pavilion complete with picnic tables and inside area with a kitchen, bathrooms and a small living room area make this the perfect low-cost option for your event.  Call 967-6116 for more information.


How can I file an Officer complaint?

To file a complaint, contact The Vermilion Police Department by one of the following:

                1) Telephone: Call (440)967-6116 and ask to speak to a supervisor regarding a citizen complaint.

                2) Email, Mail or Fax: Please include your name and phone number so we may contact you about the complaint. 
                                 Providing your contact information is not required but it makes it more difficult to investigate claims.

                     Email: Jgraham@Vermilionpolice.com

                     Fax: 440-967-4094

                     Mail or In Person:   

                    City of Vermilion Police Department
                    5791 Liberty Avenue
                    Vermilion, Ohio 44089


All complaints should be filed within 60 days of the incident.

The following apply to The Ohio Revised Code:

Section 2917.32 (A)(3) No person shall report to any law enforcement agency an alleged
offense or other incident within its concern, knowing that such offense did not occur.

Section 2921.13(A) No person shall knowingly make a false statement, or knowingly swear or affirm the truth of a false statement previously made when any of the following apply:

  • The statement is made with purpose to mislead a public official in performing his function.
  • Section 2921.15(B) No person shall knowingly file a complaint against a peace officer that alleges that the peace officer engaged in misconduct in the performance of the officer’s duties if the person knows that the allegation is false.

(These crimes are misdemeanors of the 1st degree punishable upon conviction by a fine not more than $1000.00 and/or imprisonment not more than 6 months)




The Department will post information on lost and found animals. If you have found or lost your animal call the dispatcher 440-967-6116 to report and the dispatcher will post the information on our Facebook page. Contact the Department if you’ve lost keys or wallets or are missing a bike. We acquire property throughout the year.  Property that isn’t claimed is either returned to the respective issuing agency (Driver’s License, Social Security Card, ID, etc) or sold at the City’s auction. Sensitive documents where the owner cannot be located, or no issuing agency is available are destroyed.  


Common signs and symptoms of drug use:

These are some common warning signs and symptoms of drug use.

  • Change in relationships with family members or friends
  • Mood changes or emotional instability
  • Unusually clumsy, stumbling, lack of coordination, poor balance
  • Sullen, withdrawn, depressed
  • Unusually tired
  • Silent, uncommunicative
  • Hostile, angry, uncooperative
  • Deceitful or secretive
  • Neglecting responsibilities- at school, work, or home
  • Makes endless excuses
  • Decreased Motivation
  • Hyperactive
  • Unusually elated
  • Periods of sleeplessness or high energy, followed by long periods of “catch up” sleep
  • Messy, careless appearance
  • Poor hygiene
  • Track marks on arms or legs
  • Burns or soot on fingers or lips
  • Red, flushed cheeks or face
  • Disappearance of money or valuables

What to do if you suspect drug use:

If you suspect a friend, family member, or coworker of drug use, don’t be afraid to ask them about it.  Be sure to voice your concerns.  That being said, this can be a hard subject to approach.  There are many videos available on YouTube with suggestions about how to go about having this conversation.  In the end, you know the person you will be speaking with and may know the best way to approach the subject of drug use.  Try not to be negative and encourage an open discussion. If treatment is needed, there are many options available.

If speaking with the person doesn’t work and you still suspect drug use, there are actions which you can take depending on your relationship with the person.  If you are a parent, you have many options. You can look through their room, vehicle, and other personal belongings. You can give random drug tests which are readily available at most drug stores. As a friend you can keep an eye out for the warning signs or any items related to drug use, and let that friend know that you are there for them if they need anything.  If you are a coworker, you can treat the situation much as you would with a friend, however if it is becoming a safety concern you may want to express your concerns with a supervisor.

As always, the Vermilion Police Department is happy to help whether it is speaking with someone, collecting drugs or paraphernalia that need to be turned over, or directing someone to a source of help.

What to do if you suspect drug activity:

Drug activity can happen anywhere at any time.  If you see something that you suspect is drug activity, call the police.  If it is something that is currently happening, we may be able to intervene.  If it is a pattern of activity that you have observed you can call and speak with someone, provide any information you may have, and we will look into the matter.

If you have any concerns or tips, feel free to call the police department or email to tips@vermilionpolice.com.