Building Department

The Building Department is in charge of making sure businesses and citizens honor the building and zoning codes set forth by the City of Vermilion.    It is the desire of Council and the Administration of the City to provide for the residents of the city a clean, healthy, safe and protected environment in which to live. 

Permit Request  Transient Rental Registration  Property Complaint


Zoning Code

Board of Zoning Appeals

If your proposed project does not meet the code requirements (examples: setbacks and/or size requirements) and your application for a building permit is denied you have the right to apply to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a variance.

Zoning Districts

Land Use Planning

Planning gives Vermilion residents, business owners and community leaders a means to create a shared image of the community they hope to enjoy in the future.

Planning Commission


Historic District

Contractor Registration

Contractor Registration

Any contractor working inside the corporate limits of the City of Vermilion must be insured, registered with the Building Department, and registered with the Income Tax Department. This is to protect the property owner. Before hiring a contractor, please contact this office to verify the contractor's registration.

In order to complete the contractor registration, the following are required:
  • A completed Application for Contractor's Registration.
  • A Certificate of Insurance in the amount of $500,000.00, with the City of Vermilion as certificate holder.
  • Copies of current registrations in other cities for the same classification applied for. Or take an exam. Exam fee is $25.00.
  • Registration fee is $150.00 for a General Contractor Registration and $100.00 for all Subcontractors.
  • Specialty Contractors (Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, Refrigeration & Hydronics) must provide a copy of their current State License.
  • Copy of Workman's Compensation Certificate or, a typewritten, signed letter stating the reason why such Certificate is not held.
  • A completed Regional Income Tax Agency form.
  • Incomplete application packets will not be processed, and overpayments will only be refunded upon request.
  • Contractors caught working without the proper registration with our city will be fined $500.00.
  • Any project using non-complying contractors will not be given a final Certificate of Occupancy until all contractors are properly registered.